This years guest choir is Côr Llanddarog a’r Cylch.
Côr Llanddarog a’r Cylch was formed by Meinir Richards back in 2002. Today, the choir has almost fifty members with the majority living either in the picturesque village of Llanddarog in Carmarthenshire or in nearby villages. The choir regularly performs in concerts and broadcasts for S4C and they have performed several choral works over the last decade. They have also competed numerous times in the National Eisteddfod winning the competition for mixed choirs with over 45 members five times. As well as competing, the choir has raised a significant amount of money for local and national charities including ‘Amser Justin Time’ – Wales’ Pancreatic Cancer Charity. They look forward to travelling to Canada in Easter 2017, having received an invitation to perform in Ontario’s Welsh Festival.The choir has recently released their first CD which consists entirely of choral works by the accomplished Welsh composer, Eric Jones.
We have been blessed to have so many excellent choirs sing at the Ontario Welsh Festival. Below is a list of those from recent years.
- 2014 – Bois Y Castell from Llandeilo, Wales. Conductor: Nia Clwyd. Read their bio on the 2014 Guest Choir page.
- 2013 – Côr Meibion Taf from Cardiff, Wales. Conductor: Robert Nicholls
- 2012 – Cor Cwmni Da from Pembrokeshire, Wales. Conductor: Marilyn Lewis
- 2011 – CF1, from Llandeilo. Conductor: Eilir Griffiths.
- 2010 – Côr Meibion Llangwm from Llangwm, Wales. Conductor: Bethan Smallwood.
Organizing a choir to come from another country is an awesome exercise in itself and “scouting” must happen well in advance. We currently have a short list for the 2016 Festival choir and look forward to making an announcement soon.